Monday, October 22, 2007

Rave Review


I think that I was recommended this book five or six times by different people whom I love and respect, people who know me and the way I think and love to be challenged and to see life, love, and faith opened up in different lights through poignant writing and music....but I still did not get around to reading it until now.

It is the kind of book that once you've read through it, you immediately feel compelled to read it again because it has the simplicity and familiarity of a simple pleasure like walking and talking to your best friend, yet a depth of insight that makes you sure that you didn't fully "get it" the first time, and maybe life is in fact about edging closer to "getting it"- the message, our purpose, all of it. I'm going to leave it at that in terms of description/analysis because I'm not usually so "out there" in my blogging habits and I don't want to lose everybody. ;)

But, I will say, that this book also gave me a wonderful surprise at the end. I have had several moments over the last few years when I have felt incredibly blessed to have gone to Westmont and receive the education that I did. I was reminded of that once again on page 217...in a section that began like this:

"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answeres at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things."

Miller then proceeds to recount a moment of realization that he had...while attending a lecture at Westmont College by Dr. Greg Spencer. :) The lecture was about the power of metaphors and the way that we think about cancer, love, and relationship- in and through metaphors. I remember this day so vividly in rhetoric. It shattered me. It shattered Donald Miller as well. I am not going to explain it further, Dr. Spencer is the genius, and Donald Miller does an awesome job of summarizing and extending it into his thoughts on love and faith. Both are more appropriate parties to seek more from- I think part of "getting it" is the seeking anyway- I don't want to cut anyone short. ;)

Incredible book.

3 comments:

Deyl said...

wholeheartedly agree! i had tears in my eyes when i read the part about spencer too. it made me so grateful for my Westmont education.

BTW, great biz cards!!

Paige Kearin said...

I loved that book. You are blue like jazz.

amynave said...

Hey!!!!!! You need to update this puppy:)