Monday, February 16, 2009

If I had a million dollars...



(Said through clenched throat, with tears of joy brimming in my eyes)
I would give everyone I possibly could a gift certificate to Nia so that they too could experience the pure euphoria of dancing like a 3-year-old-through-the- sprinklers in a room full of strangers. And solve world hunger, of course. ;)

This is literally what was going through my head as I left Yoga Soup this afternoon. I could write a lot about how dance has been unjustly appropriated by the hip-hop or club culture and thus become a cause of self-consciousness or stress rather than freedom and unfettered joy...but this post is not about a soap box....

It's about play, laughter, movement, dizziness, feeling like a tribal warrior and a tiny spright, lacking all thoughts of self and feeling the music flow out of you. It's about dancing like no one is watching. It's about shared space that is free of expectations. It's super new-age and I don't even care. It's freedom.

I got this sweet battle-scar after last week's class and didn't notice it at all as I jumped and pranced around for over an hour:)





In all seriousness, if I had a million big ones I would give it to Opportunity International. But, that's a more serious post, for a more serious time.



Go dance.

3 comments:

Deyl said...

you mean the two campaign!? :)

what is this dancing you're talking about? show us next time at the drum circle!

|| davidjay || said...

Heal that toe - Drum circle (and dancing) this weekend!

Cindy Greenwood said...

Vanessa, hope you'll check out Opportunity International's new virtual quilt at www.optinnow.org/quilt. It's being launched just in time for International Women's Day, March 8.